Thursday, April 28, 2016

Mine



Waves of pain push through my chest, 
tears stain, and warm my cheeks.

Holding every breath, 
Clenched jaw.

Breath normal? 
I get dizzy, mouth dry.
Stomach aches.

Lick my lips, sip another drink.
Whatever it takes, fall asleep.
I'll quit the moment you're gone.

The moment you stop talking...
about a future we no longer have...
about how upside down our kids lives are...

The moment I acknowledge my instinct...
that love blinded...

The moment I stop hating you...
for breaking our hearts....
because you never knew yours.

Because I never knew mine...

The moment I realize there is no hate.

Just a lot of hurt.
Spread around.

Right now we're swimming in it.

Understanding betrayal is one thing,
Living in it is another.

I can only hope you'll stop betraying yourself.

For her sake...
For his.

For you...
Don't worry about me.

I'm still here...
Just different.

Not yours...
Mine.

1 comment: